Sunday, September 16, 2012

Now you're speakin' my language....

Nothing translates to English better than chocolate chip cookies! The Elders in our Branch teach English classes every Saturday night. They asked me earlier in the week if I had a recipe for something American that they could bake (Vietnamese people usually do not bake because they don't have ovens). They thought that a baking class would help teach the members verbs and make the class more fun. So I offered to help with the class by demonstrating how to make chocolate chip cookies. I'm always up for a good reason to bake some CCC....

Introducing myself.  I was told by the Elders to speak very slowly.
 I'm not sure if dats b cuz my Engrish not so good or dares?

You would never think that explaining a recipe would be hard, but I forgot that each measurement had to be converted from cups to grams and fahrenheit to celsius. It really does take a lot longer to cook here because of all the calculations from U.S.  measurements to the metric measurements.

Our borrowed toaster oven from the Senior missionaries.


The class. This is open to members, investigators, and anyone else who wants to learn English.

Seriously...I could barely get the cookies out of the oven before they were snatched up and eaten....hot, gooey, and falling apart....it didn't matter. 

I don't think he liked them very much.....

.....these guys definitely like them.  They ate at least 10 each! :)

So after class the guy in the orange shirt started to explain to me how much he loves the show Man vs. Food (a favorite of mine as well) and he actually had it downloaded on his phone. He told me all about how he wants the host of this show to come to his families restaurant in Vietnam. These guys were huddled on the stairs watching the show. They are showing their Man vs. Food signs in the picture....I think Drey is just letting us know how old he is :) 

1 comment:

  1. Your CCC's rock! I woudl've eaten 10 and raised them another 10. That was probably the best EngRish cRass day eva hab!

    ReplyDelete